Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Memorial Day



Years ago Memorial Day was known as Decoration Day. This year it became apparent to me how different the two things really are. We generally take the kids to Salina on Memorial Day and visit many relative's graves. This year because Jim wasn't feeling well we opted to stay home. We woke to gray skies and rain and my overall general gloomy mood. I was really feeling bad that I couldn't visit my Dad's grave and take some flowers. The feeling was only made worse when we visited the Riverton cemetary and found a couple of our friend's graves with seeminly no acknowledgement of their memory. I wonderded how people could live so close and not remember their loved ones by decorating their graves. Perhaps these people are just quicker than I am. As we drove back into the driveway, out of the corner of my eye I saw the young oak tree that my neighbors planted in honor of my father while I was away at his funeral. It was almost as if I heard an audible voice say to me, "Analee, you don't have to lay flowers by my headstone to celebrate Memorial Day, you can remember me always." This I suppose I already knew, but then the thoughts really began to fly. I can in effect be a living memorial to the memory of my father. My life, my actions, my feelings and accomplishments can honor him daily. My treatment of others--the grumpy sales clerk, the annoying friend of a child, the hurting stranger; I can show my father that I listened to his words and watched his actions. I can perpetuate his goodness. I could not make it to the Veteran's Cemetary in Phoenix on Monday, but today, tomorrow and forever can be Memorial Day for me. Who's life will your actions be a memorial to today?

6 comments:

Bowlby Family Organazation said...

i knew what i was looking at the moment i saw that picture, and it instantly brought tears. it is really hard to believe that it has been almost 2 years, how time flies. i agree that we can all honor the memory of opa, by living the way that we were taught. thank you once again for your thoughts...i love you!

Amy said...

When ever I think of Opa's passing, I think of little Liam. The day before we found out about him is the day we found out we were finally pregnant. The whole life and death thing coming full circle so closely in our little family.

Janaca said...

Hi this is Janaca. I saw your blog off of Kara's and love to check in on your updates. I love what you write and your insights. It's inspiring to read. Hope you and your family are doing well!

Breeana said...

I have been thinking about Opa a lot latley and I miss him so much. He is one of those grandparents that every grandchild should get to have. You are a living memorial to him in more ways than I think you understand. We love you mom, a d we love you Opa!

Alaina said...

I always thought memorial day was a sad and somewhat morbid holliday up until the past few years. I have grown to understand that as you said it is not only a day to decorate the final resting places of our loved ones but a day to evaluate how well we are living as a memorial to their memory and what we are doing with the legacy they have left behind. The words to part of a song come to mind "I bring my better angels to every fight". I am glad to have Opa watching over me and hope that I am doing his great name justice. Love you Mom!

Jade said...

I knew to prepare myself for tears....and now here I sit in my office crying!! It is amazing that it has been 2 years since Opa has been gone and yet I still miss him just as mcuh. I find myself driving in my car, sitting in my house, before you know it Oma and Opa come into my head and my eyes fill with tears! I love them so much! We lost a great man here on earth but he lived such an amazing life and touched so many others lives, that his journey was such an example to all who knew him. I wish that he was still here with us, and he is in spirt, which I am very thankful for as well. I remember the last words that Opa and I exchanged....He said "Now Jade, you are my only Granddaughter that is not 100% active in church and you are not married in the temple. Promise me that you will find your way back!" Well Opa you would be so proud, I am back active in the church and I am dating only members. I can't tell you how much that single man infulenced my life! I will forever honor you OPA and I love you forever & always!!! CUNCK--C U N the Celestrial Kingdom!! :)