Thursday, May 22, 2008

Miracles


Just about anyone who know us knows about the challenges Joseph has had. To condense years of problems into one sentence, let us just say that he has had a malignant brain tumor, a non-malignant brain tumor, two brain surgeries, cranio-spinal radiation and a closed-head injury.
Years ago "professionals" tried to tell me that my child would never read, would never learn and would even have great difficulty communicating. On more than one occasion they tried to support their claims by showing me his amened IQ after all the physical insults to his brain. I would always hold my hand up to them and tell them "no thanks, no test can measure what my child can accomplish." At one particular appointment I think it was decided that only seeing the numbers would pull me out of this dream world I was in concering Joseph's future. Before I knew what was happening, there in front of me were the numbers. I stood with tears streaming down my face, ripped the paper in half and threw it down on the table. "Don't you understand," I said, "he can do anything I believe that he can."
Joseph's life has been hard, but from that he has become incredibly strong. Yesterday Joseph was awarded the Eagle of the Quarter award in a school assembly. This is given to only 24 students out of about eighteen hundred. It is nominated by one teacher and voted on by the entire faculty.
Always remember that your children will rise to the level of your expectations. Miracles occur. Never stop believing.
Way to go Joseph--our lives would not be the same without you.

6 comments:

Amy said...

I really need to stop reading your blog...no, just always have a box of tissues by the computer! That is incredible about Joseph...send our congrats onto him. By the way...you look fantastic in that dress...I love it!

The Moronta's said...

Oh momma bear... You really know how to express what we all think. He truly is a miracle and you truly are a mother that everyone dreams for. Thanks for constantly believing in each one of us! Love you!

Bowlby Family Organazation said...

amy always beats me to the punch...so i must say dido!! give that young man a hug, i miss being around him. and i to love your outfit!

Breeana said...

How much we love Joseph! He is one amazing special kid that ads so much to this family. Just as you said so perfectly, out lives would not be the same without him! Miracles! What more is there to say?

Jade said...

You never fail to amaze me in any manner! You have touched so many lives and we all are very greatful for you! Joseph is so lucky to have you, your family, the gospel and his health!! Congrats to Joseph....a Miracle, that he is!!!

Alaina said...

Oh man I totally spaced it! Tell him that I'm sorry that I missed it. He is such an amazing kid and he couldn't have been blessed with a better mother. You have always beleived in him and in all of us. Only the Lord truly knows what we can acomplish in this life- there is no test that will give us that information. Love you!