Long before I could ever respond my mother caressed my face and
whispered how much she loved me in my ear.
She held me close and calmed my fears.
She loved me deeply and dried my tears.
I was completely dependant.
I jump out of sleepfulness as the airplane touches down on the Phoenix runway--
I have arrived to spend Mother's Day with my mom.
When I come into the house she is eating her lunch.
I kiss her on the head and wipe away her tear as she finishes up.
We go out on the back porch and listen to the birds and the wind in the trees.
She is ready for a nap so I will come back later.
At bedtime I rub her feet and legs with lotion;
I rub her fingers and hands and arms and neck.
I lean over and tell her that I love her,
She says, "I know sweetheart; I love you too."
I am elated. My heart is full and my trip is complete.
These would be the only words my mother would speak directly to me.
Her brilliance is gone.
Her love of reading is gone.
Her extensive vocabulary is gone.
Her painting and designing and crafting is gone.
Her memory is gone.
Her recognition is gone.
Her ability to walk is gone.
I caress her face and whisper how much I love her in her ear.
I hold her close and try to calm her fears.
I love her deeply; I will always dry her tears.
She is completely dependant and I love her.
Happy Mother's Day Mom...and thank you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
That is beautiful mom. I wish that I was able to know Oma better and spend more time with her. I am thankful for all the things that she taught taught you and you have passed down to me. You are a wonderful mother and wonderful daughter. Love you.
you have an amazing way with words. she would be so honored that you wrote that about her. i love you
Wow mom.. Can we say tear jerker.... I just want you to know mom that I know when oma looks at you she might not be able to get out but she loves you, and she knows you love her. Sometimes words dont even need to be said in order for everyone to know of your genuine (I needed karas help on that word) heart. But when yuou write it down it is breath taking.. I love you momma
Oh mom, what a beautiful tribute. And what a wonderful example you are to me, in what a daughter should be. And just as Jenna said, she can feel your love, even, I think, from miles away. Love you!
Beautiful mom, she's such an amazing person. Don't fear, all will be well. Your a wonderful daughter. You remind me so much of her, the humming, the sarcasim. All the good ways! Love you!
WOW...so I am sobbing! Those are the most touching words and I know that Oma is so proud!! I love you so much and I am greatful for the example that you have been in my life. You are an amazing woman!!
Post a Comment